Accommodating and understanding learning disabilities.

As a graduation requirement, I had the privilege of designing a forty-hour experiential learning project. I decided the best setting for my growth as a future educator would be in the college's tutoring center. Below is a journal entry documenting what I learned from this valuable journey.

September 26, 2018


I’ve had the pleasure of being assigned a one-on-one tutoree named Sasha. Sasha and I actually know each other from several math classes we’ve had together, and I really enjoy helping her. I tutor her in Statistics. Sasha actually has had a medical condition her whole life that causes her to black out for periods of time and not have enough oxygen. Because of that, she struggles with her memory, and it’s caused her to have a learning disability. In tutoring her, I’ve gained a new appreciated for how hard it must be to have a learning disability, and how important it is that educators understand and make accomodations for these students. I notice that she initially will understand quite well, but then applying the same principle in the very next problem, or going back and understanding our work after we’ve done it is a struggle for her. I appreciate more and more what it must be like for students whose minds work differently, and I hope that as a teacher I will be able to teach in a way that helps students like Sasha. I also want to be able to know what I can do for each student to make accommodations and give them the best chance at success that I can.

Comments