Math is about trying and failing and trying again.

As a graduation requirement, I had the privilege of designing a forty-hour experiential learning project. I decided the best setting for my growth as a future educator would be in the college's tutoring center. Below is a journal entry documenting what I learned from this valuable journey.

September 17, 2018


Recently there have been a lot of learners coming in to the center needing help with integration problems in calc 2. These kind of problems are really difficult, and involve a lot of trying and failing before you find a way to do the problem. But, In all reality, that is what most of math is. I sometimes get frustrated with myself when I can’t figure out how to solve a problem with a learner, but I’ve come to realize that it’s really not a bad thing. I think it’s good to let those that are struggling with it see us have a hard time with it, as long as we demonstrate good problem solving techniques and perseverance. Math has always been about trying and failing and trying again, and when we let learners see that that is what good mathematicians do, they will gain confidence in their own potential.

Comments