There is value in thinking out loud.

As a graduation requirement, I had the privilege of designing a forty-hour experiential learning project. I decided the best setting for my growth as a future educator would be in the college's tutoring center. Below is a journal entry documenting what I learned from this valuable journey.

September 19, 2018


I wanted to kind of add to my previous journal entry. In helping students, I’ve come to find how important it is to think out loud for the sake of the those needing help. Especially when I’m working on a more difficult problem that I’m unsure of how to solve, I tend to think quietly about what plan of action we should try. I’ve been realizing though that if I think out loud it can add to the educational experience of everyone involved. The person needing help can follow and learn from my thought process as a person who is pretty experienced with math, and I can learn to explain what is going on in my head. I think that a lot of people are overly disappointed by failing to solve a problem on the first try, but it’s good to show them that everyone tries and fails when they are doing math, and how I deal with failing can show them how they should deal with it. It can also enlighten them as to what things they should take note of when confronted with a problem, and why they are important. It can help them understand what things we look for in the notes and in the book. It can help them gain new strategies and tactics for handling whatever concept they are working on. I’m trying harder to make this a part of the teaching experience because so much can be gained!

Comments